Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The old saying goes that being in medical school is like trying to drink from a fire hydrant. You can never get it all...

...but I bet we'd get more if it was vodka inside that hydrant.

Now I got your attention!

OK, so it's been a couple of days since I last posted. Here's what's happened...

Not much.

I re-weighed myself, and each time I got on the scale (and moved it to a different spot on the bathroom floor) my weight would change. According to that I somehow managed to gain almost 10 pounds in a week on one spot, and then it was completely different in another. Needless to say I need to find one spot in the bathroom to weigh myself and keep it there. But what's more important than the number is the pant size. I'll know something's different when my pants start to get loose (again).

I'm also struggling with time, and laziness. My car has decided to start stinking up the place (catalytic converter needs fixing/replacing), which is just another bead in the never-ending necklace that is work-getting-done-to-my-car. It's also another pound of weight on my shoulders. And there's the laziness. I just don't want to work-out. I know it's good for me, and I know I always feel better afterwards, but I just don't want to do it. Good part is that I realise what's going on, so now I just have to go and change and pop in the DVD and find my resistance bands and give this workout a try.

I had my pharm one-liner exam today. For those of you that aren't students at LECOM, we second years were sent an excel spreadsheet of 800+ lines of Q&A's about drugs. Some were starred (High Yield; really important to know; ~200 flashcards) and we had to memorise them for a test. The class was divided up into groups and we all go on different weeks. Mine was today, the first exam group. I spent so much time studying those cards, and now that weight has been lifted off my shoulders, only to be replaced by a heavier one (the car).

Le sigh.

The stress never ends. It wanes then returns with a vengeance, which makes me not want to work-out, and instead grab a cupcake. I think that makes me a stress eater. That and I eat out of boredom. It's taking a decent amount of will power to not grab a cookie right now. Typing this serves as a nice distraction.

I'm also reading a book (maybe a night or two a week I can get in a few pages) called Eat Pray Love. I saw the film first and was enthralled. I wish I could learn how to be more spiritual, to meditate and forget some of the stress. But thinking about that sends my adrenals into overdrive because that would mean trying to do one MORE thing in what is already a day with too few hours it. Also, when I try to lay in bed at night and shut off my mind, I instead get flooded with worry, usually about money, now that I have to fix the car yet again.

I'm trying to tackle one thing at a time. Call the shop to see about getting a part for the car and how much that will cost. Change clothes and work-out. Study. Go to the grocery store (this is going to have to wait a little while still).

To cheer myself up I'm going to listen to some music that gets me going (right now it's Marry You by Bruno Mars). Then I'm going to watch the video below, and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment