Sunday, February 13, 2011

A second new start...or...how Bob Harper kicked my butt

OK, so I'm (sorta) starting over (again). Today I picked a spot in the bathroom to keep the scale and I weighed in (first thing this morning). 245.5 lbs. I did it twice so even if I got two different numbers I could average and get one closest to my actual weight.

Then for breakfast I started with my SparkDiet - .75 cups fresh blueberries, 6 oz low fat strawberry yogurt, 8 oz coffee, 1 low-fat nutri-grain eggo waffle with a little peanut butter on top. I've never been much for eating actual blueberries, mainly just blueberry baked goods, but it wasn't bad. After the first few bites, I could close my eyes and I could really taste the berry, and it was nice. And the waffle with PB is awesome, esp if you wait a little while and let the PB warm up and melt into the crevices. I also don't feel hungry! Yum...

If I'm correct, coffee, tea, and water count as "water" every day (since they're calorie-free), and my goal is to take in 8 cups. I've had two so far, working on my third.

How have I gotten this much water in already? Well, I just finished a workout. I know! It's so early! I went into Sam's Club yesterday and got a pilates dvd with stretchy bands (LOVE pilates) and one of Bob Harper's dvds - The Biggest Loser: Cardio Max Weight-Loss. I can tell that by the time I get really good at this dvd, I'll have quads and glutes of steel. It involves a LOT of squats and lunges, jumping up from squatting, etc. It def got my heart rate going. There's a warm-up to it (5 min), then three options -
1. to start off with, just do the Bob Harper Cardio Max for 25 min (Level 1)
2. once you're good with that, step it up a notch with an extra 10 min long High-Intensity Cardio (Level 2)
3. wow, you're good with both of those? OK then hot-shot, add in a Level 3 High-Intensity Cardio for another 10 minutes.

Of course there's a 5 min cool-down too. At the moment, I'm good with the Level 1. I do think I may have to get some new shoes. The ones I have...they're more for the Body Pump class at the gym and not for all this squatting. By the end of it I wanted to roll my soles over a rolling pin.

There is a Maximum Results Program (haven't looked into that so I'll check that out another time) and a Music-only option if you know the movements and don't want someone stopping every so often to tell you/demonstrate what to do next.

I will say that I'm proud of myself.

Also that I need another sports bra cause with all the jumping the one I have is useless.

Now I keep track of all of this at SparkPeople.com. You get points too, and there are "trophies" to serve as another motivation tool. There are also options for you to track your goals, talk with others, recipes, articles, work-outs, a TON of stuff, and it is all, 100% free. Yes, you read that right - FREE. Lost your motivation for working out and want to get it back? There's a bulletin board for that. Have a tiny apartment and aren't sure what workouts you can do? There's a bulletin board for that.

And yes, want to track your progress on your iPhone? There's an ap for that.

The best part is that it's about a life-style change, so they start you off slowly. You'll get motivational emails suggesting small steps you can take, and there is a particular sequence to them so it's not random. They serve to help coach and guide you. This isn't a 100-m dash, this is an Iron Man, a Marathon. You wouldn't want your surgeon to be a first year college student would you? No. You want someone who has put in the work, who has been pushed and put through the wringer through college, medical school, and residency. The same goes for this. Don't take on too much for you to handle at a time and work yourself up.

Can't wait to be able to kick this dvd's butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment